Co-ops & Interns
The CASE Co-op and Internship Program connects New York businesses with affordable, flexible, highly-trained graduate students who have the skills and experience in a wide range of information and business technologies.
The CASE Co-op and Internship Program
CASE Co-ops assignments are extremely flexible for both students and employers, ranging from very short-term projects of a few days or weeks, to positions lasting several years—or even becoming permanent after graduation. Co-op students can work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full time during breaks and summer, depending on the position.
Why CASE Co-ops?
- Hire top graduate-level students in engineering, information technology, social media, business, and an array of other specialties to put their training in state-of-the-art technologies to work for businesses.
- Access an expanded talent pool of international students legally, with no visa issues.
- Assistance with creating job descriptions.
- Resume collection and prescreening, electronically and face-to-face.
- Reduced administrative burden on employers; CASE handles payroll, administration.
- Mentoring of students before and during employment.
For more information, contact Co-ops Program Manager Dave DiMaggio at 315-443-5018 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Our Partners Say
“The CASE Co-op program has been wonderful! By integrating Co-op interns into our team, we were able to rapidly investigate evolving platform technologies, extend prototypes, and test our new products. The CASE team makes it extraordinarily easy to match students with the right talents and drive. In fact, our first full-time hire is an SU graduate who came to us through CASE!”
- Fuz Eller
CASE Industry Co-ops Program
CASE provides opportunities for graduate students across many departments and disciplines to gain industry experience, earn income, and create a network of business contacts.
CASE allows our co-ops students to:
- Apply coursework and training in state-of-the-art technology to find solutions to real business problems.
- Gain exposure to practical business engineering and information technology environments.
- Work with minimal administrative burden for employers, simplifying connections for talented graduate students.
- Work part time during the semesters and full time during the summer and over breaks.
- Explore the potential for full-time employment with New York State companies after graduation.
- Participate in opportunities for joint industry-university projects through CASE (focusing on product design, product improvement/extension, or process improvement).
The process is simple:
- Establish an account on the Syracuse University on-line recruiting system: OrangeLink
- Upload your resume to your personal OrangeLink account
- Submit your resume to David DiMaggio
- Your resume is reviewed, screening interviews are scheduled, and the recommended students are then forwarded to the employer for final interviews and selection
- If selected, you will complete the necessary forms through either the Student Employment Office or Office of International Students (Slutzker Center), and you will be added to the Syracuse University payroll.
- Report to work as scheduled by the employer
- Get your supervisor’s signature on you weekly time sheet, and submit it to CASE at email@example.com
- You will receive weekly payments from Syracuse University
For more information, contact Co-ops Program Manager Dave DiMaggio at 315-443-5018 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is an overview of the process you need to follow once selected. The supporting documents referenced in the process overview are below as well.
Below are some of the co-ops and internship opportunities currently available. If you would like more information, or to apply for a position, contact Dave DiMaggio.
PPC Broadband, Electrical Engineering Intern – 2017 & 2018 Opportunities
The Position: Electrical Engineering Intern
Key Attractions of the Position:
- Opportunity to develop interactive programs and automate testing for a global organization, at a corporate headquarters.
- Interns are encouraged and measured on their ability to be innovative and contribute to design ideas.
- The opportunity to see your work come to life and be implemented.
- PPC is the technology leader in our industry, with more patents than any of our competitors.
- Interns will work closely with senior engineers, and be assigned a “mentor” during their employment. Interns will benefit from being fully immersed in the department functions and gain valuable real world experience.
- Housing assistance is available to out of area co-op students.
- We operate in an accomplishment driven environment.
Major Responsibilities, but not limited to:
- Develop interactive programs to automate RF testing of multiport CATV amplifier splitters.
- Collaborate with RF design engineers to develop intuitive RF screening criteria to screen devices for gross failures before tuning.
- Interactive Tuning.
- Execute final tests, create final test reports or export testing data to Excel spreadsheet reports.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Be working towards BS in Electrical Engineering or other related engineering field.
- Be capable of using Agilent Vee or LabVIEW and have strong computer proficiency, specifically Excel.
- At minimum have 1 year of prior of programing software and equipment testing.
- Ability to automate test equipment such as Network Analyzers and Spectrum Analyzers using scripting.
- Prior Test Engineering experience to include experience with Power Supplies, Switches, Network Analyzers, S-Parameters.
- Knowledge of embedded systems to include ARM and 8 bit MCU programing.
- Work well independently and as a team member.
- Be creative and possess superior organizational, interpersonal and oral/written communication skills.
- Have a bias towards learning and bias for action.
To apply: Email your resume to PPCcareers@ppc-online.com
CyberSquire, Security Analyst
Under the general supervision of the Security Operations Center Team Lead, the Security Analyst I is responsible for operating CyberSquire’s state-of-the art network security technology designed to monitor security feeds streaming from client servers, network devices, and end user work stations. The Security Analyst I will be responsible for responding to security incident alerts on client networks and providing Computer Network Defense and Information Assurance (IA) support to CyberSquire’s various commercial and federal customers. The Security Analyst must be able to utilize vulnerability assessment software in support of customer requirements and have the ability to research, develop, and communicate solutions to detected security incidents in a timely manner.
The Security Analyst I is expected to be familiar with a wide range of security tools and understand basic security fundamentals. The Security Analyst I will perform information security event analysis and must possess knowledge of operating systems, TCP/IP networking, network attacks, attack signatures, defense countermeasures, vulnerability management, and log analysis.
The Security Analyst I must be a self-motivated individual with an ability to operate in a fast-paced, hands-on learning environment. Additionally, the Security Analyst I must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Monitor and analyze network traffic and alerts;
- Investigate intrusion attempts and perform in-depth analysis of exploits;
- Provide network intrusion detection expertise to support timely and effective decision making of when to declare an incident;
- Conduct proactive threat research;
- Review security events that are populated in a Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) system;
- Analyze a variety of network and host-based security appliance logs (Firewalls, NIDS, HIDS, Sys Logs, etc.) to determine the correct remediation actions and escalation paths for each incident;
- Independently follow procedures to contain, analyze, and eradicate malicious activity;
- Document all activities during an incident and provide leadership with status updates during the life cycle of the incident;
- Backup of firewall, netWarden security appliance and other security devices;
- Incident management, response, and reporting;
- Provide information regarding intrusion events, security incidents, and other threat indications and warning information to the client;
- Track trends, statistics, and key figured for each assigned client;
- Assist with the development of processes and procedures to improve incident response times, analysis of incident, and overall SOC functions;
- Develop Reports including: daily Shift change report; Incident reports; and Security status reports; and
- Conduct client-facing security meetings.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- One or more of the following certifications: CISSP, GCIA, Security+, CEH;
- Incident handling/response experience;
- Security operations center experience (can include internships);
- TCP/IP Networking experience;
- Familiarity with common IDS/IPS platforms (Snort, Cisco, Fortigate, Sourcefire);
- Experience with Malware Analysis and Reverse Engineering;
- Experience with packet analysis and packet capture tools; and/or
- Experience with web technologies and databases.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Pursuing Masters in Computer Science/Computer Engineering
Submit Resume to Joseph Abrenio email@example.com
ESCALA11 Web Developer Intern
About the Company: Escala11 (www.escala11.com) is the first and largest daily fantasy sports platform in Brazil. We offer both Brazilian and European leagues for soccer fans in Brazil to participate in daily fantasy contests, much like DraftKings and FanDuel do in the US. We are a high growth company recently graduated from a venture accelerator here in Syracuse (www.startfast.net). As every small pre-funded startup, the opportunities are endless for hands- on, creative, committed and dedicated people.
We are looking for back/front end, or full stack developers.
The Web Developer Intern is responsible for working with the CTO in:
- front and back-end web development;
- assist with tests and quality assurance;
- assist with server, network and cloud computing maintenance;
- understand customer and business needs to bring and suggest new features;
- monitoring performance and find solutions to improve it;
- security concerns throughout the program;
- maintain and extract data from MySQL Database;
- Knowledge of SQL, Version Control/GitHub, Google Analytics, SEO, Apache, Linux;
- Understanding of AWS (EC2 and RDS)
- experience in development using MVC architecture;
- excellent communication skills (written and verbal);
- ability to work in teams and complete assigned tasks within identified time frames;
- quick Learner and efficient;
- high sense of urgency – Able to work well under pressure;
Plus, but not required:
- Spanish or Portuguese proficiency
- Passionate about daily fantasy sports
- Passionate about Sports (Soccer)
- Previous startup experience
Apply even if only some of the requirements are met. Most important is willingness to learn, passion for programming/problem solving and interest to work at a startup.
Candidates should send their resume in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Greenview Energy Management Solutions- Software Developer
We are searching for a software developer who is interesting in building and maintaining custom web and mobile apps. Familiarity with iOS, Android and cross platform technology is preferred. Applicant must be experienced with MEAN and LAMP architectures and have the skill set to produce and maintain database driven webpages.
- Mobile Application Development
o Create mobile app for Android and iOS platforms
o Experience with hybrid frameworks
o Maintain native app for both Android and iOS platforms
- Web development
o Develop customer, database driven website
o Maintain and upgrade current customer systems
TempoQuest Inc., Intern- Web Application Developer
TempoQuest Inc. (TQI) seeks a web application developer with extensive experience in both server-side scripting and user-facing web browser graphical interface construction.
The position will require developing and maintaining an end-to-end web application delivered in a web browser to TQI AceCAST™ clients for ordering, management, delivery, and payment of weather model data products. The system must expose a user-friendly interface to the client, store user information in a server-side database, and execute remote cloud server instances for scheduled WRF weather model data runs. The system must store output model data files from executed runs for delivery to the client and for inputting into TQI’s secondary model data output/delivery systems. The system must manage user data, schedule model run jobs, and store model output files in a database and/or native filesystem on server. Knowledge in scalable back-end web application architecture design is a must, as storage requirements for user data will exceed the capacity of a unitary web server.
Required skills include:
2) Extensive knowledge of back-end web scripting using PHP or equivalent language
3) Proficiency with creating, maintaining, and dynamically interfacing databases (MySQL or equivalent) with server-side code to produce and store user content
4) Mastery of server-side web application programming including scheduled background tasks and interfacing with cloud/remote servers
5) Comfort within ambiguity: developer will help design the system from top-down and must have ability to internalize overall product vision/requirements into specific application components
6) Ability to draw conceptual designs of web applications with graphical-design software such as Photoshop, COREL Draw, Adobe Illustrator or etc.
Preferred skills include:
1) Experience working and deploying web applications on commercial cloud platforms
2) Experience on deploying E-Commerce payment
Contact Donald Berchoff, Don.Berchoff@truweathersolutions.com
What Our Partners Say
“Each semester, we employ several SU EECS graduate students through the CASE Co-op Program. Our experience has been intellectually stimulating, profitable, and overall very positive, so we are happy to continue and expand the work we do together.”
- Stuart W. Card, PhD
VP & Chief Scientist, Critical Technologies Inc.
CASE Co-ops Program Overview: An Employer-Targeted Program
Are you in need of a part time student worker throughout the year? Or seeking a summer intern?
- The CASE Co-ops Program, a unique, employer focused service, connects companies with highly skilled graduate students in a wide array of different technology disciplines, including engineering, computer science, information management, cybersecurity, business and more.
- Businesses benefit in many ways. First and foremost, the CASE Co-ops Program provides immediate access to scarce technical skills and talent for as long as the company requires it. CASE Co-ops can fill critical gaps in full-time staffing, accelerate progress on R&D projects, or make possible a high-tech project that might otherwise not be possible.
- CASE staff screen students carefully, matching them with the businesses that can most benefit from their skills and experience. CASE handles recruiting and administration, saving your business time and money.
- The Co-ops Program also manages payroll at no additional cost, relieving your company of substantial administrative time. This makes the program accessible even to very small businesses and start-ups with limited infrastructure.
- Students are available for short- or long-term assignments, and many transition to full time positions after graduation.
- Co-ops students represent an excellent value for companies, who benefit from their skills and expertise while providing critical workplace experience.
For more information, contact David DiMaggio.
Below is an overview of the process you need to follow once you’ve selected a student. The supporting documents referenced in the process overview are below as well.
What Our Partners Say
“Over the years, Anaren has worked with CASE to both identify and procure talented students, either in the capacity of interns or as full-time employees, as our business and technology needs change.
Aligning with a department like CASE at SU allows Anaren to tap into a massive talent pool that covers a vast number of disciplines. As our business grows and our markets expand, we are always looking for expertise outside of our core competencies and CASE has allowed us to identify and act quickly in this critical acquisition of talent.
Syracuse University has both national and international recognition in a wide variety of key technology areas. We have found the recommendations from CASE to be both accurate and expedient. This helps us in our pursuit of the very best in both educated and motivated resources who “hit the ground running” upon arrival either as interns of full- time contributors to the Anaren legacy.”
- Alex Budwey
HR Manager, Anaren